Beneath layers of renovations and changes through the last century, some of the original structure still exists. Built between 1917-1920, it was the congregation’s third location on Boulder Avenue in downtown.
Apart from its physical marvels, the congregation has kept a vast collection of photos and records in its archive room, including the blueprints and dedication programs from 100 years ago.
The foyer still has the ornate plaster molds that line the ceiling, though they’ve long been removed in the sanctuary. Original oak spindles still line the stairwells, and the carpet that used to cover century-old marble has been removed.
High above, the stained glass window still has a functional crank system to open a hole in the roof. Back when a congregation of 1,200 or more would fill the sanctuary (with overflow in a separate chapel listening to the organ and sermons through the intercom), the building had primitive air conditioning. Small fans and open windows helped circulate cool air from the basement into the sanctuary and out through the roof.
On February 9th, 2020 the congregation celebrated 100 years since the building was created.